Monday, October 15, 2012

Teaching a College Course

In August, I began teaching a 3 hour business course at a community college on Monday evenings.  I've always been interested in teaching and really felt that it would help hone my public speaking skills.  Now that I'm halfway through the semester, I am realizing how much being a professor (technically, an adjunct professor) has taught ME. 

Wait a minute, I thought I was supposed to be the professor?!  This shows that there is always an opportunity to learn, in any situation.  The class is teaching me patience, confidence, and most of all how to connect and relate to my students.  I've made a point to get to know each and every one of my students and to understand their background, goals (both personal and professional). 

Although it is a huge time commitment and makes for extremely LONG Mondays, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything else.  If everyone who has taken classes could have the opportunity to teach their own course, they'd see it through a completely different lense.  Things I would change, I'd make more eye contact with my professors and be more engaged in class.  I would appreciate the time and effort that goes into preparing the course materials and grading.  I would see the professors more as people, rather that just an orator.

Have you ever taught a course?  Did it teach you any surprising lessons?

Until next time,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment