Friday, January 20, 2012

First Pinterest FAIL....

I decided to attempt to take a photo of myself before writing this next blog post.  Hello, Captain Cheeseball.  This mostly makes me laugh because I took this on my free verizon flip phone (Yes, they actually gave me a phone for FREE!  I was so excited that I'm pretty sure that I got two!).  It's the same phone that everyone laughs at when I take it out of my purse.  Perhaps we'll call it a conversation starter??  Let's face it...there is nothing smart about it.  I did have to send this pic to my computer, so that I could rotate it...but, I don't know...it does the job.  We all know that I am the Queen of Frugality (when I choose to be...ha!), and this is just one of those places where I don't see the value in spending a bazillion dollars.

I decided to start my blog with some great Pinterest WINS.  But, this past weekend, I encountered a huge Pinterest FAIL.  I had been salivating since I pinned something called Lovely Salted Caramel Sauce.  Posts revealed that people made batch after batch because it was devoured so quickly in their household.  So, I saved the recipe for my friend Sarah's 30th birthday because she shares the same love for anything chocolate, salted, and caramel.  I planned to make the Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake...and drizzle it with this amazing salted caramel.

I really went into this with the best possible attitude.  I mean, I took a PERSONAL day in order to make sure I'd have time to make this properly before the birthday festivities began.  I quickly made the Skillet Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie.  I didn't actually taste it...(go me!!)...so, we will rely on Sarah to post how it tasted. 

Here's how it looked:



I couldn't find a proper dish for this, so I repurposed a tray (meant for martinis!) that my favorite neighbors gave me.  See how perfect it was?  Gives new meaning to pretty in pink!

What could make this more perfect?  The friggin Lovely Salted Caramel Sauce.  I mean...I sought out PINK HIMILAYAN SEA SALT for this recipe.  It seemed so easy....but, my lack of caramel making experience, paired with my tendency to over-analyze...turned the lovely caramel into a burnt tasting solid mass.  I was particularly mortified when I brought it to Sarah's house and she tried to taste some of the caramel 'sauce'.  Since it didn't come out freely, she tried to dig it out...then chisel...and I was forced to look away in mortification.  Neither of us discussed the caramel 'elephant in the room.'  This certainly took a chink out of my proverbial armor. 

I may attempt this again.  I mean, I have enough Pink Himilayan Sea Salt to make about 100 jars of this stuff...  I was even tempted to put the pink salt on my broccoli last night.  Okay, I've convinced myself...I will wait until a day where the sun is shining & everything is going my way....then I will attempt to make it again. 

If any of you make it in the meantime....please let me know how yours turns out!!!

Stay tuned for my next post revealing my Wine & Design experience!!!

Ciao,

Amy Lizabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment