Monday, January 16, 2012

A Stylish Heating Pad?? Is that Even Possible???!

Ta Da!!!!  I know that you've been waiting with bated breath for the craft that I promised last night!!  I actually made this last weekend, however I wanted to try it out to make sure that it actually WORKED!!  And it DOES!!!!  What an amazingly easy (but timely craft). 

I found a beautiful, wonderfully textured fabric on sale at Joann Fabric last weekend.  I knew I NEEDED it....(you ladies know what I mean), but I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  It would've made beautiful throw pillows, however I didn't think that I would be changing my bedroom colors, etc. in order to match this.  But, I was certainly tempted.  I even ran through my mental rolodex of my friends' houses to see if it would match their decor.  No dice.  So, I decided to make it into a heating pad.  It takes a ridiculously small amount of fabric, and just a little bit of patience. 

Basically, you flip the fabric to where the outside of the fabric faces each other, then you sew around the edges like you'd do a pillow.  Make sure to sew 3 sides, and just 1 inch of the remaining short side, so you can flip the fabric right side out.  You can cut your fabric to whatever size heating pad that you are looking for.  You can put rice or beans inside your heating pad, I chose rice.  You also have the option of adding some sort of essential oil.  I was impatient, and I didn't know where to find essential oil, so I skipped this part.

You can make as many sections of the heating pad as you like.  I tried to put the same amount of rice in each section, then pin it and sew it.  Hanging the heating pad over the side of the table while you pin the sections is the easiest way to do it.  Otherwise, the little pieces of rice try to sneak through and make it difficult to sew.

I plan on purchasing some essential oils and a sewing machine.  I know...can you believe that I don't have a sewing machine?  What in the hee haw is wrong with me?!  I will likely be purchasing one, soon.  Its just a tad intimidating...  Once I have all of the tools in place, I may start making these for Christmas presents.  After all, doesn't everyone need a beautiful heating pad? 

I'm thinking that these would make lovely heated or cooled eye masks.  I should've mentioned that you can heat these or put them in the freezer, customizing them for your aches!

I'm happy to add more details to the 'tutorial' section, if you'd like. 

Let me know what you think!!  Would you be happy to find one of these in your Christmas stocking???!!

For those lucky folks that have the day off, enjoy!  (I'll try to contain my jealousy!)

Amy Liz

1 comment:

  1. way cooler than my old tube sock filled with rice. i have peppermint essential oil if you ever needed it.

    ReplyDelete