Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Craft #1!!

This weekend marked my first Pinterest inspired crafting experience.  I absolutely adore crafting, however, I have never really mastered the 'frugality' of it.  My homemade crafts tend to be ridiculously expensive.  Case in point, my first felt buying experience at the fabric store was a complete FAIL(ure).  I wasn't sure what to purchase, so my inner tendency towards overkill took over and I proceeded to buy 6 colors of felt...and an overabundance of each.  I didn't realize that this project would only take 1/2 yard....and proceeded to buy 6 yards of each.  That means I basically have 36 yards of felt and only used 1 and a half to make all 3 scarves.

So...my tip to you, if you decide to pursue this craft...is to buy 1/2 yard of felt in a super fancy color.  Then, the project will cost you less than $5.  Also, invest in a pair of sharp scissors because we found that scrap-booking scissors and kitchen scissors would not cut the mustard (or the felt for that matter). 

I roped my mother and sister into this crafting journey, which began at noon on Saturday.  I arrived at my mother's house bearing 36 yards of felt and Bojangles biscuits.  Needless to say, I was well received (due to the biscuits) and we immediately began crafting.  Saturday was New Year's Eve, so my sister and I were limited on our crafting time because everyone knows that you have to spend an inordinate amount of time getting sparkly for NYE festivities.

For someone who does not know how to sew (at all)...I mean, I can't even hem my own pants, even I excelled at this project.  I would label this as a ridiculously elementary project for someone who possesses the ability to sit in one place and craft for hours.  What am I trying to say?  Its totally worth it!  I have kept my scarf in my car since I made it (so I can proudly show it off)...everyone loves it and is flabbergasted that it is handmade. 

This weekend, I plan to try another craft from my ridiculously long list.  Odds are, the next (gazillion) crafts that I post on this fanciful blog will ALL INVOLVE FELT!!!  I challenge you to join my blog and to try some of these awesome creations!!

Here's how to make it:

Floral Scarf Making Directions
Love ya, mean it!
Amy Lizabelle

2 comments:

  1. I am in LOVE with these my friend! Whadda ya say I bring over some wine sometime soon and we get rid of some of that leftover felt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely!!! I have some great colors to choose from!! Believe it or not, last night I actually bought MORE felt because I didn't have the right color for the Valentines wreath that I plan to make. We can have a crafting day! Let me know what day works for you! I'm excited to have a crafting partner!!

    ReplyDelete