Monday, January 30, 2012

Vidas de Esperanza

This weekend was a whirlwind.  On Saturday, I volunteered for Vidas de Esperanza as they held their first FREE medical clinic in Siler City.  We've all heard the old adage, "You'll get more out of giving than the people receiving the gift."  Well, it was true on Saturday.  I'm pretty sure that my heart hasn't been that full in a long time. 
My friend Anna and I checked people in constantly, at one point, we weren't even able to accept more patients.  However, we were able to book them for the next free clinic in February.  Not only have these people not been able to afford adequate medical care, but the language barrier also creates a huge problem.  Our two bilingual doctors (who worked tirelessly) actually took the time to talk to the patients and to really get to know them, their family history, as well as to examine them.  There will be even more doctors at the clinic next month and possibly even a dentist.  Everyone that came in was so thankful to have such a wonderful service provided for them and their families.  What a blessing!

While the doctors worked their magic, I was able to help give out 200 pairs of brand new New Balance tennis shoes (donated by Fleet Feet Sports) to the families that were being treated at the clinic.  Many of these children had never owned a pair of new shoes.  Most of them were wearing shoes that were several sizes too small.  Too see these children (and adults)'s faces light up when they received such an unexpected and useful gift was so rewarding.  Below is just a small portion of the shoes as they were being unloaded.

One part of the day that really tugged at my heartstrings was when a child that I fitted for shoes 30 minutes earlier ran back inside and asked me to come into the waiting area.  I went in there to talk to him and he said, 'I can run all the races in these shoes.'  He was clearly elated. 
I look forward to volunteering for this amazing organization again.  Check out their website: vidasnc.org

I could write for days about this amazing experience.  If you have any questions or would like to get involved, email me or leave me a comment.

All the best,

Amy Lizabelle



No comments:

Post a Comment